Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Free Knitting Pattern - Coffee Cup Cozy

It's my first free pattern! I'm happy to offer you my pattern for making a Coffee/Tea Cup Cozy.

What you need:

Yarn: KnitPicks Wool of the Andes Worsted Yarn in Merryweather or similar 100% wool (not superwash) yarn that knits to specified gauge.

Tools: Size 7 (4.5mm) needles, straight

The details:

Gauge: 20 rows and 24 st = 4" in St st (gauge is not terribly important for this project)

Finished Measurements: 10.25" circumference, 3" wide after felting

Special Abbreviations:

K1f&b: Knit into the front and back of stitch

K2tog: Knit two stitches together


The pattern:

Cast-on 28 stitches using a long-tail cast-on.

Rows 1-6: *K2, P2* repeat from * around

Row 7: *K1, K1f&b, P2*
repeat from * around

Rows 8-12: *K3, P2*
repeat from * around

Row 13: *K1, K2tog, P2*
repeat from * around

Rows 14-18:
*K2, P2* repeat from * around

Row 19: *K2tog, P2* repeat from * around

Rows 20-24: *K1, P2* repeat from * around

Row 25: *K1f&b, P2* repeat from * around

These 25 rows from rib pattern.

Repeat the pattern twice, ending on row 24, or until cozy measures 12.25", or 2" longer than desired length to allow for shrinkage during felting.

Bind off in rib pat.

Note: you can end the pattern on any row you choose, but it looks best if ended after an even row.

Finishing:

Sew ends together to form a ring using the mattress seam. Weave in ends, but leave about 2" extra length on ends to allow for shrinkage during the felting process.

Place cozy into a lingerie bag or pillowcase and tie closed. Wash in hot water with a large towel or pair of jeans to help agitate the cozy. Repeat washing until cozy is felted as desired or has shrunk to desired size. (This was three times for me).

Place damp felted cozy around cup, let dry. This will help it to form to the shape of the cup. Trim ends.

Pour yourself some tea or coffee and enjoy! It works great with cold beverages too!

I'd love to see your finished cozies! You can share your photos on Ravelry or provide a link to your picture! If you've tried this pattern and notice any errors or have suggestions, please email me at margo@orchidlanedesigns.com. Thanks!

(Not a knitter? Buy this cozy at my shop!)

7 comments:

Crissy said...

that's really cute! My mom is trying to learn to knit, I'm going to refer her to your blog! :)

Linda said...

Very nice. I am going to have to make some of these for my co-worker and me. I hate cold coffee.
A SITS friend

extreme personal measures said...

Stopping by from Trendy Treehouse's Marketing Monday to say Hi!

Margo said...

Thanks Crissy, Linda, and Denise for stopping by!

Bridgette said...

Super cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog today! :)

disneyfanheather said...

Stopping by from FF! I'm your newest follower! :)

Anonymous said...

I love it whenever people come together and share opinions.
Great site, continue the good work!

my webpage ... monkeydo.org

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! Have a great day!