Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Scheduling and Backdating Posts

Did you know you can change the date and time of your posts on Blogger? You can also choose whether to allow reader comments on specific posts.

This tip came from Beki @ The Rusted Chain. (Thanks Beki!) If you run out of pages on Blogger to post all the important information you should have, like your Disclosure Policy, Terms of Use, About page, etc. (yes you should have all these things ;), you can backdate posts with this pertinent information.

The easy way to do this is to start a New Post. On the left hand side of your content window is a link that says 'Post Options'. Click that link and it will give you a little menu.

The first section says 'Reader Comments'. If you are posting about business-type stuff, and don't want comments on that post, click the 'Don't allow' bullet. Then, on the right hand side of the little menu, you see 'Post date and time'. Here you can enter any date and time. For example, I backdated all my business-type posts to 2009. All I do is change the '10' to '09' and I'm all set.

Also, if you're like me, you have a busy life with young children, you might not be able to post on a consistent basis. So, how do you keep your blog up to date and make sure your readers keep coming back? You can schedule your posts. For example, I wrote this post on Wednesday, May 12th, but it didn't post until today, Sunday, May 16th. I had a good stretch of time on Wednesday to write blog posts. So I wrote about 5 posts and scheduled one for each day. I like to spread my posts out over several days, so it keeps my readers coming back each day.

You can accomplish this the same way that you backdated your business-type posts. Change the date under 'Post date and time' and you're all set.

You can also use this feature to change the time your of your posts. Let's say most of your readers are online in the evening. You might want to schedule your post for 6 pm - that way it comes up first on your readers' subscription page/email and they will click on it. For me, most of my readers are online during the day, so I generally post anywhere between 8 am and 5 pm. There are times when I post at strange hours but I try to avoid doing that, because then my posts gets lost in the mix.

Not sure when your readers are online? Check to see what time of day most of them comment. You can also visit their blogs to see when they generally post.

I hope this helps you with your blogging! Feel free to email me at margo@orchidlanedesigns with any questions or comments.


.

Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! Have a great day!